Sunday, April 17, 2011

Getting Started With Mobile Development

I created this blog several years ago with the intent of posting articles to help others get started with new technology but never got around to it. Recently I have started looking into building mobile apps. As this is a new area for me, it seems like a great topic to get the blog started.

As I follow the lazy programmer’s doctrine of working smarter not harder, I started off looking for a technology that would enable me to do as little work as possible to support multiple devices. From here I found tools like PhoneGap. PhoneGap creates a native application by running traditional web content (HTML, CSS, & JS) in a browser while exposing native API functionality through JavaScript. As I intended to build a web version of the app in addition to the native ones, this seems like an ideal way to move forward. The following posts will document the evaluation of a framework to build the mobile web application, followed by a comparison of the PhoneGap like tools once the web app has reached a state of maturity.

No comments: